Local Government

NYC Department of Health Rat Prevention Training: Rat Academy

The Health Department offers two different free courses on rat management at its “Rat Academy”:

Community Training: This free three-hour course is open to anyone who wants to learn about rat (rodent) management.

Pest Control Professionals: This three-day advanced course for pest control professionals focuses on the biology and behaviors of rats.
Courses are ongoing. You can sign up for classes at the link and can also host or sponsor a training, email ratportal@health.nyc.gov or call 311.

NYC Dog Laws

The most common dog laws in New York City are:

  • Dog license: Dogs living in NYC must have a license from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Licenses must be renewed annually. In addition to being licensed, guard and service dogs must be registered. You must report losses, thefts, and transfers of ownership of a guard dog within five days. Guard dogs must wear both a dog license tag and a guard dog tag issued by the City on their collar at all times.
  • Dog leash law: A person who owns or controls a dog may not allow it to be in any public place or in any open or unfenced field abutting a public place, unless the dog is effectively restrained by a leash or chain no more than six feet long.
  • Canine waste law: Each person who owns or controls a dog must remove any feces left by that dog on any sidewalk, gutter, street, or other public area and dispose of it in a legal manner. The person may remove the feces and carry them away with him/her for disposal in a toilet or their own litter basket. The feces may also be placed in a non-leaking sealed bag or container and deposited in a DSNY litter basket. The provisions of this law do not apply to a guide dog accompanying any blind person.
  • Animal nuisance law: Each person who owns or controls a pet shall not allow the animal to commit a nuisance on any public or private premises used in common by the public, or any area of a building abutting a public place.

NYC Engage: A Way to Participate in NYC Public Meetings

NYC Engage is where you can find information about how to participate in public meetings held remotely. Use NYC Engage to join hearings and meetings online or by phone while physical distancing. Stay tuned as additional remote meetings are added to the calendar. They welcome your comments as you use this new site and participate in civic engagement. Visit NYC Engage’s home page www1.nyc.gov/site/nycengage to view more information, and their meeting calendar /www1.nyc.gov/site/nycengage/events to learn about upcoming meetings.

NYC Hate Crimes Hotline (Manhattan DA’s office)

Hate Crimes Hotline (212-335-3100) or email at hatecrimes@dany.nyc.gov. 

NYC HRA Public Assistance and Immigration Benefits Online Access

NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) benefits.

Online access to SNAP (food stamps), Cash Assistance, Medicaid, Fair Fares, training opportunities, DRIE (Disability Rent Increase Exemption) (DRIE) Forms and SCRIE (Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption) forms, other benefits, and more…

NYC Love Your Local

Show the Love.

NYC Love Your Local honors the independent businesses that make our city a unique place to live.

Eligible businesses can receive grants and expert advice to keep thriving.

NYC map: New York City: A City of Neighborhoods

The Mayor’s office and Department of City Planning issued an updated map: New York City: A City of Neighborhoods, November 2022.

NYC Mayor – Bill de Blasio

Website contact:  http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/contact-the-mayor.page


City Hall
New York, NY 10007

NYC Parks Department Request

Submit a Forestry Service Request

When you submit a request through the NYC Parks Department forestry service request intake process, you enable them to carefully monitor the progress of your request every step of the way.

When you submit a request it goes directly to the appropriate Parks Department division for action, and the 311 Customer Service Center provides you with a tracking number and details about how your new service request will be addressed.

Below, you can:

  • Report a damaged or dead tree
  • Request a new street tree
  • Notify Parks of illegal tree damage
  • Submit a report of potentially hazardous trees or branches*
  • Let us know about an undesirable root, sewer, or sidewalk condition

All requests sent to Parks are given direct attention and will be resolved as soon as possible.

NYC Small Business Services – Lower Manhattan Center

Lower Manhattan Center 79 John Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10038

Phone: 212-618-8914 TTY/TRS: 7-1-1 or 1-800-662-1220

Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM – 5:00PM FREE services to help businesses start, operate, and expand in New York City.

Their staff can provide help with financing assistance, legal advice, ways to score new business opportunities with the City, recruiting advice, or help with permits or licenses.

Directions: 79 John Street is located between William and Gold Streets. By subway take the A,C,J,Z,2, 3,4,5 to Fulton Street or R to City Hall. Take the M5 to Broadway – Fulton St or the M103 bus to Park Row – Beekman St.

11/24/18 Deputy Commissioner Rachel Van Tosh email: RaVanTosh@sbs.nyc.gov 212-618-6757.